As a Principal at Michael Best Strategies, Wes helps clients protect and advance their business interests through political and legislative advocacy. He has considerable experience in lobbying, strategy, research, and coalition building, and he helps clients build strong relationships with policy makers and stakeholders. Wes analyzes the potential impact of pending legislation, and works closely with clients to deploy strategies that will produce favorable outcomes. He regularly works with regulatory bodies, including the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, as well as state and federal health agencies, on policy issues that affect Colorado businesses.
Wes’s Expertise: Government Relations, Public Affairs, Lobbying, Legislative Process, Healthcare
Before joining Strategies, Wes spent nearly eight years at managed healthcare leader Kaiser Permanente Colorado, the first three years as the company’s in-house lobbyist at the Colorado State Legislature, and the last four years as Director of Government Relations. During his tenure, Wes helped transform Kaiser’s approach to political advocacy from reactive to proactive and helped it shape health policy.
Earlier in his career, Wes worked in the Colorado State Legislature for more than five years, briefly serving as Press Secretary for the House Minority Office before becoming Legislative Director for the House Minority Leader where he served as primary political advisor and liaison to lobbyists, state agencies, officials, and the Office of the Governor. He led a team of policy analysts, legislative aides, and support staff to develop and execute the House Minority Caucus’ priorities and strategic vision. As Press Secretary he managed the Office’s communication strategy and handled all media relations.
ADDITIONAL KEY EXPERIENCE
- Political Analyst, CBS News4 – Denver: monitored political messaging, advertising, and upcoming elections and provided analysis for on-air news segments
- Web and Copy Editor, ColoradoBiz magazine: wrote articles on economic development and business issues statewide
- Metropolitan State University of Denver, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.); Public Relations and Political Science
Wes’s affiliations during his professional career:
- Former Board President, NAMI Arapahoe/Douglas Counties
- Former Health Care Council Chairman, The Colorado Chamber